Buying A Big Lathe Thailand
I’m looking now to buy a new very big lathe and a big milling machine in Thailand to build the 6″ Little Samson traction engine. I have bought the drawings for the 6″ Little Samson and I’m waiting for them to arrive here in Thailand. The biggest parts to be turned are these:-
- Flywheel, 460 mm diameter, 51 mm wide
- Front Wheel, 460 mm diameter, 121 mm wide
- Biggest Gear, 495 mm diameter, 25.4 mm wide
- Rear Wheels: Diameter 737 mm (29″). That’s over the strakes which are added after machining, not the diameter to be machined.
This is the specification of one lathe I’m looking at:-
- Swing Over Bed 460 mm
- Swing Over Cross Slide 224 mm
- Swing In Gap Diameter x Width 690 mm X 240 mm
- Height of Center 230mm
- Distance Between Centers 760mm/1010mm/1510mm/2010mm
This is a photo of the lathe:-
Update 28 Feb 2014 Another Large Lathe And Milling Machine
In response to publishing the above web page I received an email from a website visitor who said he had a large lathe and milling machine that he was prepared to sell to a good home. The vendor of the large lathe and milling machine sent me some photos of the machine tools taken in his workshop in Bangkok, Thailand and I have uploaded the photos to a new web page called “Photos Of The Big Lathe And Milling Machine I Bought In Thailand“.